This morning I was thinking about all of the crap that is stressing me out: overdue bills, small paychecks, making food stretch, a broken down car, no money to fix the broken down car... when it rains it pours. It's pouring.
Sometimes when life is this crazy, this scary, this overwhelming I find myself thinking, "Something beautiful is about to break through the shit."
One time I had just gone with a friend to pack up clothes for herself and her kids because she was leaving her husband. We were in her car and it was filled with silence. We were sad. There was grief and sorrow clogging the air. And then we both glanced over just in time to see a passing car with a bumper sticker that said, "When life hands you lemons, you paint that shit gold!"
It was funny. And true. And full of hope.
There's always a way to paint it gold. Who knows what that looks like, or how it happens, but it's possible.
And I'm trying to remember that life is about possibility.
So, this morning, I stopped myself in mid-worry and listed the things I am grateful for:
1. My kids are healthy. No one is hurt or in the hospital recovering from a scorpion sting.
2. My husband is pursuing health and wholeness in a beautiful way.
3. My mother in law has so generously allowed me to borrow her car right now (which leaves her driving around town in a pickup truck).
4. We have food in our house and no one is going hungry.
5. The weather isn't as oppressive as it has been all summer, which means we can play outside in the mornings again.
6. I have the kind of community people dream of. I can lean on my Holy Yoga/Revelation Wellness people at all times.
7. God has restored church for us.
8. We get to spend time together as a family every day.
This list could go on and on and on. There is more to be thankful for than there is to worry about.
And something beautiful is about to break through the shit.